Legal Eagle Challenge 2021
The finals of the 2021 SCCA Legal Eagle Challenge took place in the morning of 31 July 2021.
From the many law students who participated in the 2021 Challenge, the six finalist teams took turns to present to three final judges – Mr. Daniel Chia (Head of Human Resources, Samsung Electronics Singapore), Ms Koh Juat Muay (President, Institute of Public Relations of Singapore) and Mr. Andrew Ong (Head of Legal & Compliance for Asia Pacific, KONE).
- Hannah Tjoa, host for the 2021 Challenge finals, with the three final judges
The 6 finalist teams were:
- Team 1 – Adrina Ang Lina, Kavya Anand, Kendra Thaddaeus Tang, Kenishia Chang Qing Hui from Temasek Polytechnic
- Team 2 – Clarice Tan Jia Ying, Fatin Syuhadah Bte Selamat, Georgina Teo Wei Ting, Lim Xiang from Singapore University of Social Sciences
- Team 3 – Ajay Nair, Hwang Yu Liang Zephan, Muhammad Syazwan Bin Ramli, Yang Jing Ying Kesia from National University of Singapore
- Team 4 – Andrea Danielle Lee, Crystal Chew Tong En, Elton Ching Xiangwei, Valerie Wong Le Yee from Singapore Management University
- Team 5 – Alden Wordsworth Ng, Megan Tay Wern Ee, Samuel Wee Liong Chye, Sushanth Thirthapad Babu from National University of Singapore
- Team 6 – Grace Anastasia Lim Si Min, Kara Kang Mei Hui, Poon Chong Ming, Wong Liang Yeong Samuel from Singapore Management University
The 2021 Challenge presented a fictional case of a disgruntled ex-employee who made negative posts on various social media platforms about a F&B conglomerate. This incident followed several other concerning posts by different employees. In response, participants were required to present to the company’s board of directors and to draft and implement a social media policy. Before submitting their materials, finalist teams were matched with members of the Institute of Public Relations of Singapore’s Student Chapters for a consultation session between the “General Counsel” and “Corporate Communications Head”, providing for cross-collaboration with their public relations counterparts.
During the finals, each team was given 15 minutes each for their presentation, which was followed by 10 minutes of Q&A with the final judges.
- Group photo with the final judges and the award winners
After the presentations, the judges deliberated and scored the teams based on criteria of law, business, innovation, and communication. The winners of the awards are:
Team 4 – Andrea Danielle Lee, Crystal Chew Tong En, Elton Ching Xiangwei, Valerie Wong Le Yee from Singapore Management University
Most Innovative Team:
Team 3 – Ajay Nair, Hwang Yu Liang Zephan, Muhammad Syazwan Bin Ramli, Yang Jing Ying Kesia from the National University of Singapore
Most Business Savvy Team:
Team 6 – Grace Anastasia Lim Si Min, Kara Kang Mei Hui, Poon Chong Ming, Wong Liang Yeong Samuel from Singapore Management University
Best Communicator (individual):
Georgina Teo Wei Ting (Team 2) from Singapore University of Social Sciences
The Winning Team walked away with $800 of cash prize while the Best Communicator (Individual) wins $200. Both cash prizes are kindly sponsored by LexisNexis, Partner of the 2021 Challenge. All finalists also earn 1-hour coffee chat sessions with senior legal leaders to find out more about the in-house profession and to learn what it takes to become an in-house counsel.
Proceeds from the 2021 Challenge will be donated to SCCA’s charity partner for 2021, Willing Hearts.
We would like to express our gratitude to the workshop speakers, preliminary judges, final judges, coffee chat senior legal leaders, the participants and everyone who made this event possible and having a hand in developing the next generation of in-house counsels.